Saturday, September 17, 2011

Books Worth a Second Look

Like many of you, I can’t seem to get to many of the books on my “To Be Read Pile”.  I even have some from the library and haven’t gotten to reading them yet.  Putting my thoughts about these books in print might coax me into actually picking one up, or maybe it will catch someone else’s eye.  If you read any of these books, I would love to hear what you have to say about it.


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

This book will be read in the next month!  I swear!  You see, every time I go to the bookstore I use an hour of their in-store Wi-Fi to read part of this book on my e-reader.  But, an hour of in store reading time is always interrupted by lots of jumping from my Lil Guy.  I don’t mind, I go to the book store for him.  (Okay, I go to the bookstore for me ... you caught me.)  Regardless, I have gotten only about 70 pages into this book, but I swear I will finish it soon.

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

Something about this book just sounded so cute to me.  I remember just sitting in class focused on the back on the head in front of me!  In this book though, the main character, Payton is using the back of Sean Griswold’s head as a focus point.  A focus point as in: focus your thoughts and mind on one object and then use this journal to put down how you are feeling.  Well, from everything I have read about the book, Payton finds that Sean Griswold’s head might just help her focus and deal with some of her family issues.  I will have to check for this at the book store, but it might have to go towards the bottom of my list, I am not sure.

The Duff by Kody Keplinger

The Duff was written … get ready … BY AN 18 YEAR OLD GIRL!  That is enough to make me think the book will have an interesting perspective.  I also am very interested since several of my students this past year were reading this book, but they wouldn’t really tell me much about it.  I think the premise totally rings true with High School culture.  The main character Bianca is called out by a guy that she is in fact, a DUFF, that’s right, the D.esignated U.gly F.at F.riend.  I am sure you can imagine how a 15 year old would react to this.  The book has gotten lots of attention, both good and bad, but I want to read and judge for myself. 


The Strange Case of Origami Yoda  and Darth Paper Strikes Back both by Tom Angleberger
I just want to read these books because they seem fun and have the added Star Wars theme that might hook middle grade boys.  I requested them from the library and have been waiting to hear back.  I guess that means they are popular which is a good thing, right?  In the first of the books, you meet Dwight who is more than introverted.  He is so bad off that he sends messages to his classmates via an origami Yoda.  I doubt I will be bored with this book.  I am looking forward to the read.

Well, these are a few books on my To Be Read pile.  How about you?  What’s in your pile?

2 comments:

  1. Based on your suggestion, I read The Strange Case of Origami Yoda. It was a really good book and a quick read. The 6th grade characters in this book definitely brought back memories of my own time in middle school. Like Tommy, I was not too popular and confused about dances, girls, and life in general. I often struggled to maintain friendships with kids like Dwight who were just a little too nerdy for the rest of my friends.

    As a huge Star Wars fan both now and back then, I loved all of the references. And like many of the characters, when I was that age a little part of me wanted to believe the Force could be real too. I am looking forward to reading Darth Paper Strikes Back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I think The Strange Case of Origami Yoda definitely has an audience with middle school students, and I am glad it found an audience with you.

    My Lil Guy is becoming a Star Wars fan too. I was thinking someday I would like to read this book with him. :)

    ReplyDelete