Thursday, September 29, 2011

Are You a DUFF? I Am.
Review: The Duff

The Duff

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) was one of my "To Be Reads" I wrote about this month, so when I finally started reading it, I didn’t waste any time.  In fact the book was read in one evening as I couldn’t put it down.  I see why YA readers, especially teens, are creating a buzz about this book and the author, Kody Keplinger.  The book is a impressive YA read that should be popular with readers who like a little sizzle, a lot of drama, and a fun school based story.

Bianca’s emotional rollercoaster starts when a rude guy from her high school, Wesley, calls her the Duff.  That’s right, the D.esignated U.gly F.at F.riend.  Ouch.  Bianca instantly hates the guy.  Things at home aren’t going well either, with her MIA mother and her father’s issues of his own.  How does Bianca react?   Well … a wild fling might take her mind off of things.  Unfortunately, it also takes her away from her friends, her family, and hides her true feelings.

This book is a good read.  I really did enjoy it and I look forward to reading the next of Kody Keplinger’s books.  I have read some of the other reviews about this book and some of the criticism reflects upon Keplinger’s obviously immaturity.  While I agree that some of the book lacks refinement, I liked Keplinger’s writing.  I thought the story was well developed and the characters were fun and likable too.  Bianca could be any one of us, in each of us is a Duff.  Teen readers will love this book and probably will feel a connection with not only the characters, but also the young author herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment