Friday, September 9, 2011

Just one more book ...

My son is 2 and a half years old and he is all boy.  He also very persuasive when he wants something.  He has learned the power of making a pouty mouth and saying, "Please, mama, please."  Before naps and bed he is also often saying, "Two more books!"  His love of books can't be satisfied!  Am I a sucker for always reading one more?  There are days we read ten books before bed.  In his bedroom now, we have a full sized bed that we use to jump, play, snuggle, and read books.  Lil' Guy chooses his books and throws them up on the bed.  Some nights there is barely room for us to lay down because of all the books!

Lately Lil' Guy has been asking for his turn in reading books aloud too.  Usually its short books like Tad Hills's Duck & Goose Books or the Usborne Thats Not My (Pirate, Lion, Monkey, Dragon, etc.) series.  These are some of my favorties because they are short and sweet.  Lately though there are a few books that are actually longer that he has been enjoying.  One is Lily's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes.  I forgot how cute these books were!  The little mice characters have so much heart.  Although the story is a little complex for Lil Guy, he doesn't seem to mind and offers some comments as we read the book. 

In the end, I guess that Lil' Guy is a little bit too much like me.  Every night I try to make the habit of reading to myself too, and often I want to read just one more page or one more chapter.  I guess I can't complain about my Lil' Guy loving books.  It was a major goal in our parenting!  I just hope I can continue the tradition of reading before bedtime for many years to come.

So, what is your bedtime routine for reading?  Do you read in bed?  Do you share stories and books before bed?  Any suggestions for helping me limit my book reading to less than twenty minutes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment