Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top Ten Characters


Another Meme this week.  A meme is a chance to share a post with others posting on the same topic.  This week I am trying: Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters In Books.  I have chosen to highlight children's and YA book characters.  


Be sure to check out the other great Top Ten Tuesday Lists like mine.

 In No Particular Order:   
Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters In Books

1. Ramona Quimby by Beverly Cleary– I think of Ramona like a best friend from childhood.  We shared so many days reading together, snuggled under blankets, laying in the sun, and everywhere in between.  Ramona was truly the first character that I connected with on a very, very personal level.  It wasn’t because Ramona and her books were ultra-deep, rather they were common.  I mean that as a sincere compliment.  Every child has lived through shameful misunderstandings at school, jealously towards siblings, and worries about being a big girl.  Being 8 years old and reading about Ramona helped me to be a little less self-centered and realize we all struggle to grow up, we all feel crazy sick when we have the flu, and we all love our families, our pets, our books, and our stuffed animals in a way we think no one else could possibly understand. Wow, even writing this makes me want to go back and reread all of the Ramona books.  : )


2. Brian from Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen – I will admit that Hatchet is my beloved favorite book ever.  Some will argue that what makes the book so amazing is the epic battle of Man vs. Nature, with Nature being the star of the show.  I disagree.  To me, Brian is the driving force of the story because we learn from him, want him to succeed, and share his pain, suffering, and finally triumph.  I just love this kid and would read his adventures forever.  Brian is clever, resourceful, thoughtful, and strong.  I admire Brian for many attributes that I, myself don’t have.  Maybe that’s part of the reason why I like him so much.

3, 4, & 5.Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger by J.K. Rowling – These three friends all make my list because I was blessed enough to see them grow, mature, and persevere in an amazing journey.  Each one is very likable to me. First, there is Harry who is smart, powerful, choosing goodness over evil, and guiding us on his journey to find himself and those who seek to ruin him.  I always felt like Harry invited us along on story, sharing himself not only with the cast at Hogwarts, but also with readers.  No doubt, Harry was written to be likable.  Truly, he was able to make me believe in the magic, for that I am very, very grateful for the experience. Then of course, there were the two friends who are way more than sidekicks.  Ron and Hermione weren’t just along for the ride in the Harry Potter series.  They took risks and matured alongside Harry too.  Ron is loyal and funny, scatterbrained, and nervous.  Love him.  And Hermione who is smart and serious, beautiful and delicate, but showed amazing strength and aptitude! These three friends are favorite characters of mine because of their individual strengths, but also because of all they did together.

6. Biscuit the Puppy by Alyssa Satin Capucilli– Woof! Woof! If you have a little one or teach the youngest school aged kids, you know Biscuit.  I love his soft warm yellow fur and his small cries of Woof! Woof!  He always seems to be gentle and kind, loving and sweet.  There is just something about him that makes you feel comfortable.  Whether he is making new friends, going to bed, going to the doctor, a new school, or sharing a snack, Biscuit is a joy.  Preschoolers and Kindergarteners love his stories, and beginning readers love the accessible words and predictable patterns offered in these short and sweet books.

7. Heather Wells by Meg Cabot– (Please note that techniquly Cabot's Heather Wells series is an adult series.) Heather Wells is a former teen sensation.  She finds herself struggling along, living with her ex-fiance’s brother (who she kinda has a thing for), working at a residence hall, struggling to fit into her size 12 jeans, and solving murder mysteries on the side.  Heather Wells is flawed, but lovable.  She makes bad choices, but somehow triumphs.  I love the play on her size, her former stardom, and her painfully tragic lovelife.  She is more mature than college students she works with, and this too gives Heather a unique dynamic.  Of everyone on this list, maybe I like Heather because she is the only character who still is in a current series.  I can’t wait for the next 2 books to come out in this series.

8. Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder – Laura Ingalls was another heroine whose life felt somehow familiar.  Her dynamic with her family, her struggle to decide between right and wrong, and her hardships living on the prairie all connected with me.  Okay, maybe I didn’t live on the prairie, but Laura made me feel like I could have done so.  I have read and reread these books a number of times and always enjoy Laura’s spirit and intelligence.  She taught me a lot about being proud of your strengths, helping others, and valuing family.

9. Wilbur from Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White – It’s Wilbur’s innocence that really makes him lovable to me.  He is born into a world not willing to care for him.  He makes friends with Fern and the most unlikely group of animals.  He also makes famous the farm that is ready to make a meal from him.  Wilbur’s tale is full of hardship and sorrow, but this simple pig always finds a way to put on a brave face and survive despite the odds.


10. D.J. Schwenk from Dairy Queen Series by Catherine Gilbert Murdock – D.J. is the dairy farm tomboy who navigates family hardships, romantic heartbreaks, sports, and learns lessons about herself along the way.  She is full of surprises, but always manages to be herself, not changing for her family, friends, or boyfriend. However she does mature and strengthen throughout her 3 book series.  She isn’t girly or silly, she doesn’t need saved by friends or a boyfriend, she is amazing and the Dairy Queen books are well worth the read. Reviewed Here!!

30 comments:

  1. I loved Heather Wells as a character! I completely forgot about her.

    Great picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the next of her books. I worry a little that the character is going to change! I love her just the way she is - flawed, clever, and a disaster at romance/love.

      Delete
  2. Harry Potter and Charlotte's Web are both amazing!! Great post, and you have a new follower as well! Would love it if you could check mine out: My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check your list. Dicey was a great choice! Thanks for the visit and the follow. : )

      Delete
  3. Some good ones here and I enjoy the Heather Wells series , can't wait for the new one to be released :)
    New follower
    http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-all-time-favourite.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather Wells is a awesome character! I wish I could be part of her little circle of friends. Well, except for the part where she always seems to be around when murders occur. :P

      Delete
  4. We have one in common :)
    Love that Ramona and Brian made it on your list. And a lot of people have a Charlotte's Web character on their list too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply adore Ramona. There can be bad movies, different covers, 80's TV shows, or other adaptations, but I know the real Ramona, she was my friend. : )

      Delete
  5. Ohhh I love Heather Wells and have been patiently waiting for another book in the series! I hear rumors but no book! :) Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry, Ron and Hermione and Wilbur are such great characters- so glad you included them!

    My TTT: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-favourite-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilbur - I saw many other lists with Charlotte, but there is something about the little runt pig that makes me root for him!

      Delete
  7. I love Laura Ingalls Wilder. I remember reading the whole Little House series with my daughter when she was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's the time period, but she just has a bit of innocents even as she causes trouble her herself and others, doesn't she?

      Delete
  8. Awwww, Wilbur. He is indeed "some pig." My kids love that story.

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Pig, indeed. You made me smile!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for stopping by yesterday. Rocky River Public Library is an independent library. We'd love to have you visit. I may be biased, but it really is a beautiful library and we are the home of the Cowan Pottery Museum. There is art throughout the library. Next time you're in the neighborhood be sure to stop in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to visit sometime soon. I love new libraries! Plus the Cowan Pottery Museum, I will have to google that and find out more. : )

      Delete
  10. RAMONA!!! YAY!! And I love that you have books that take place in WI! (That's where we live, teach, read.) Great list! Here's our Top 10 this week! Happy reading! :) (p.s. I love that you read/review children's books! New follower!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow - and yes, Ramona- I am not surprised that I saw her on a few different lists today. She is just the best. : )

      Delete
  11. I love Harry Potter. Still in the middle of revisiting those books. The epic journey he takes reminds me a lot of classic hero's journey. Very Joseph Campbell. I see a lot of parallels between Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker. Then again, I'm a gig nerd who sees Star Wars connections almost everywhere...

    I'm surprised you left off Katniss Everdeen from Hunger Games. She is another strong character who rises from a bland everyday existence to become a hero. Then again, as an adventure loving boy, girls with bow and arrows are more interesting to me then girls living on the prairie.

    Love your blog. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katniss would have been a good choice. I saw a lot of lists today with Katniss, Cinna, and Peeta. I like all of the characters but didn't think of them for this list.

      Delete
  12. Harry Potter ^^ I think everybody has someone from those books in his/her list. They really feel like old friends.

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-10-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am actually glad to see Harry Potter making so many people's lists. The books are really good and will stand the test of time for young (and old) readers everywhere. : )

      Delete
  13. Yay! I love that you included Laura as well, and Brian?! I can't believe I didn't put him on my list. I love Hatchet so much, and Brian is so resourceful. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hatchet is an amazing story about an amazing boy. I still remember my librarian in middle school handing it to me as if it were the best gift she could give someone.

      She was right. : )

      Delete
  14. Love your picks! I love D.J. too. It's funny, I had forgotten about Heather Wells, but she is amazingly fun. I might just have to re-read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both DJ and Heather Wells fall into that independent young woman category, although they are definitely different character types! Heather Wells is supposed to have a new book in the series in June!

      Delete
  15. I soooo love Ramona. She was totally on my post-it, but I ran out of top-ten room. Fantastic list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that you organize yourself with post-its! Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete