Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hey, Look!
Review: Duck! Rabbit!


Duck! Rabbit! is the kind of book that you just have to pick up and read.  I admit, I saw it on bookshelves in the library and at bookstores, but it wasn’t until I picked up the book that I got it.  So, here is the question:  What do you see what you look at the front cover of the book?  A rabbit?  A duck?  When I first looked at the book I only saw a duck.  I thought maybe if I physically turned the book and squinted, I might see a rabbit, but really, truthfully I only saw a duck.  Then, I read the book and held the book in my hands.

Duck!  Rabbit!  by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld starts off by introducing 2 points of view.  Opinions are voiced from off the page and can’t seem to agree.  They try to convince each other that the animal on the page is either a duck or a rabbit.  I started off agreeing with the duck voice, but as the book went on:  I changed my mind and decided that it had to be a rabbit!  Now when I look at the book I can’t even remember that I once thought it was a duck!

My Lil Guy and I were giggling while reading this book.  I enjoyed the simple drawings and the short but persuasive text.  I would love to use this book in a classroom to explore perspective.  Perfect for pre-schoolers, young readers, and those who want a book that poses a question!

No comments:

Post a Comment