Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Books or Treat
Review: Scaredy Cat, Splat


I admit, I am a sucker for holiday books.  Just like decorating the house, I love to get in the spirit by reading Christmas, Easter, Hanukkah, Halloween, and everything in between.  I love spending my winter break wrapped in a warm blanket with a holiday novel.  That’s why Lil Guy’s book shelves have their fair share of Halloween and Autumn books.  I was pulling all of these books off the bookshelf to make sure they gain some heavy rotation before the holiday comes and goes when I found Scaredy Cat, Splat by Rob Scotton.  Opening up the front cover I saw an inscription to Lil Guy from his grandparent’s from last Halloween.  I am happy now we’ll get to read this book a couple of times this year (and for years to come).  I also want to just express how much I love books as gifts, especially with inscriptions!  It’s a joy to read a book and put Lil Guy’s hand over the inscriptions and remind him of his family and friends who share their love of books.  So, give a book … and don’t forget to write a short inscription to remind others that you want to share your love of books with others.

Scaredy Cat, Splat by Rob Scotton

Splat is a big and clumsy cat who is the star of Rob Scotton’s series, Splat.  These picture books are funny and short, offering a comical look at a young cat who always falls into trouble.  In this installment of the series, Scaredy Cat, Splat, it’s Halloween.  We find Splat at school with his classmates who are competing for the title of Scariest Cat.  While Splat is more scared then scary, he spooks his whole class and then sends them into a fit of laughter when his jack-o-lantern lands on his head.

Being a teacher, I always enjoy books that include a little part about school routines.  This book includes a teacher doing a spooky (but not too scary) read-aloud.  What could be better than a book that promotes reading aloud in the classroom????  I did read this book to my Lil Guy who was interested in the story, especially the spooky parts which were more cute than anything.  I am sure I will read this a few more times in the next week.  I could also see this book being read in a classroom to any K – 3rd grade classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment