Monday, March 12, 2012

Happy 100th Birthday to Girl Scouts


Happy 100th Birthday to Girl Scouts this week.  I have been a girl scout for over 30 years and some of my best memories have been made with this amazing organization.  From when I was very young, I enjoyed camping, crafting, and friendship.  As I grew older I took on leadership, self-esteem, and community service.  Today I still feel Girl Scouts has shaped me into the strong teacher, mother, and reader that I am today.  That’s why I was thrilled to find a new book featuring the Girl Scout story.

Here Comes the Girl Scouts! written by Shana Corey and illustrated by Hadley Hooper is a new picture book for both Girl Scouts and non-scouts who are looking for an inspiring story.  Author Shana Corey starts out the book by tell about young Daisy who is adventurous and imaginative.  Daisy, of course, later becomes the founder of Girl Scouts in the U.S. and starts an organization based on the principals of honor, loyalty, and friendship.  The book also features quotes from Daisy herself, along with the some famous girl scouts everyone will recognize.  A fact filled section in the back of the book also highlights some other Girl Scout ideals like diversity, conservation, and the legacy of Girl Scouting.

This book has an obvious target audience for school aged girls, but also would be a great read aloud for Women’s History Month.  The fairy-tale like story intermingled with quotes, and print rich illustrations may not be my favorite style, but showcased Girl Scout’s humble beginnings well.  Also, while the story does a good job telling about the foundation of Girl Scouts it does read more like a biography of Juliette ‘Daisy’ Gordon Lowe.  Overall I was more than impressed with the modern interpretation of Daisy and Girl Scouts.  This book will be a welcome addition to Girl Scout meetings and lifelong Girl Scouts, like me.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Loved reading about GS literature. Think we could do a workshop for leaders? It would be great to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALE: Lessons from Juliette Gordon Lowe. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete