Monday, April 23, 2012

It’s Monday! What are you Reading?


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!  is a meme hosted by Jen and Kellee at Teach.Mentor.Texts. 


      This week, I read a few great books!  One of the books was Wonder, which lived up to all of the wonderful recommendations and reviews.  This book has stayed with me in the days since I read it.  I am working on my review, but, don’t wait for my review, just find the book, share it with your students, your family, or your friends.  This week I also read the first of the Penderwicks books written by Jeanne Birdsall.  This was an old fashioned book detailing a charming story about 4 sisters and their summer cottage.  I plan to reserve and read the other 2 books soon.  This book was just a pleasure to read.  Some of the other books I read this week were a little more difficult.  I read both Breadcrumbs and NeversinkBreadcrumbs  was just difficult to read because I didn’t connect with the protagonist and the fantasy part of the story was a little too dreamlike for me.  I guess I was expecting something different!  That being said, the story was interesting especially the weaving of many different fairytales.  Neversink was also difficult for me.  I was reading this as an e-book and took every chance I could to be distracted, checking email, playing games, and looking for other e-books before I finally forced myself to finish it last night.  I think this book might be a good fit for animal lovers who like sensitive characters, thoughtful speaking animals, and stories of success.  Actually, if you like all of those things: I suggest you read The One and Only, Ivan instead! 

Here are the MG novels I finished: 

 
Wonder
by R.J. Palacio
– Review Coming

The Penderwicks
A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, 
Two Rabbits, and a Very 
Interesting Boy
by Jeanne Birdsall
 - 4 stars on goodreads

Breadcrumbs
by Anne Ursu
- Review soon to come

Neversink
by Barry Wolverton
 - 3 stars on goodreads





Picture Books also read this week:

 

A Nap in a Lap
by Sarah Wilson
- 3 stars on goodreads



Time to Pee!!!
by Mo Willems
- 4 stars on goodreads



KnuffleBunny
by Mo Willems
- 4 stars on goodreads

 
Duck Soup
by Jackie Urbanovich
- 3 stars on goodreads



3 Fly Guy Books
by Tedd Arnold
- Each 4 stars on goodreads


 
Press Here
by Hervé Tullet



Plus 2 Books About:
Polar Bears



Also 3 Books About:
Tigers
- One earned 4 
stars on goodreads!



And 1 Book About:
Orcas


This Week I will Read:

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt
(I am halfway through this book and really enjoying it a great deal.  
I feel bad it's taken me this long to read since I have had it for months.)

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
(Carried over from last week)
 
Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
(I love Elizabeth Eulberg.  She was part of my inspiration for starting 
this blog!  Can't wait to dig into this one, I know it will be a treat.) 

M+0 4EVR by Tonya Cherie Hegamin

Super Sluggers: Wall Ball by Kevin Markey
(Because we are into Baseball season full swing, 
I thought this might be a good read. Pun intended btw!)

I am now up to date (barely) with my reading goal. My Lil Guy is still choosing some interesting books from the library shelves.  After reading a few Fly Guy books to him, he really enjoyed the easy, fun, short chapter books.  I see many more of these in our future.  Thank Goodness our library has a stocked shelf of these. So, that is what I am reading.  What are you reading these days?  Leave me a comment and I will be sure to visit your blog and check out your list too!


23 comments:

  1. Great list! Yes, Wonder is wonderful isn't it!? I keep hearing about The One and Only Ivan and think this will need to make it in my pile soon. Love your picture book selection this week, lots of good picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do read The One and Only Ivan. It's so different, but very lovable. I hope it's a classic that will stay on bookshelves for many many years to come. I know it will stay on mine!

      Delete
  2. I STILL haven't read Wonder. I feel like I'm so behind but my hold on it just came in this weekend. I must get to it soon. It seems to be THE children's book of 2012.
    I had similar problems with Breadcrumbs. It was ok, but not one of my favorites. All three of the Penderwick books are simply delightful. It's difficult not to smile while reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Wonder! You won't be disappointed. :)

      Ah, Breadcrumbs. I felt so bad about not liking the protagonist. I know a lot of people really like it and while the story was intriguing, it just wasn't a good fit for me. I was so happy when I finished it. :(

      Delete
  3. The Penderwicks is one of my favorite series. The audiobooks for each of them is outstanding. And, yes, Ivan, indeed is a great animal book to recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered the 2nd and 3rd Penderwick books, looking forward to reading them soon!

      Delete
  4. A good week for you, and a nice mix of old and new. I never tire of Knuffle Bunny. He remains my favorite Mo Willems character :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never mind reading a mix of old and new. I was reading certain bands of books because of what level I was teaching at the time, but I know I missed out on some great books. Also, I love experiencing book with my 3 yr old son. Knufflebunny was a hit, we will read the others soon. : )

      Delete
  5. Funny how books fit some people and not others. I loved Wonder, just like you. I also enjoyed the Penderwick book, even though I'm not usually a huge realistic fiction reader.

    But I also adored Breadcrumbs. I found it so magical. It reminded me of a combination of Narnia and Bridge to Terabithia (both of which I love.) I also loved Neversink! *chuckles*

    I also saw your comment on my reading today. Yes, your husband is right to be picky about how to introduce the idea of Darth as Luke's dad. I often wonder how it is possible to keep that secret today, with pop culture being all over it. I've often read a "good" way to watch the series is 4, 5 (so you get the mystery of Darth as his dad and then find it out), then 1-3 (to learn about Anakin's fall) and then wrap up with 6 for Anakin's redemption. I kinda wish I'd done that with my own sons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing there are so many great books for our varied reading pleasures! I sincerely wish I could enjoy fantasy the way some readers can fall into those books! I will continue to try books suggested to me though from that genre. Maybe I just need practice and imagination. : )

      Oh ... and Fanboy husband is applauding this approach to Star Wars viewing! (He might have mumbled something about the Emperor being established as a greater threat in ep. 6 watching the movies in this manner.)

      Delete
    2. Smart man! I'd love to hear if he tries this approach, what he thinks of it. I think the guys at Geek Dad were the first ones I saw suggest this order. Love that blog.
      And let him know I write a weekly Star Wars themed post at a friend's site (The Fandom Post) where I choose a theme and find all sorts of crazy SW related things to put with it. Here is the link to last week's http://www.fandompost.com/2012/04/19/star-wars-thursday-take-me-out-to-the-ball-game-edition/

      Delete
    3. We're still a couple of years from watching the movies with our son. : ) How old do you think is the appropriate age for the movies?

      Fanboy Husband had me bookmark your posts at TheFandomPost and Geek Dad too. Thanks for sharing. : )

      Delete
    4. *grins* The appropriate age is an iffy thing. The originals are much more "youth" appropriate than the new trilogy (with the exception of the Jar-Jar monstrosity, who was clearly designed to appeal to kids). 4 and 5 could be enjoyed by youngsters without major issues, I think. 1 is also not too scary. 2 and 3 get kinda dicey with the fright and violence level.

      With that said, my boys saw them all fairly young, but don't remember much. Their questions when they were reading Darth Vader and Son clearly indicated a need to rewatch them soon.

      Delete
  6. I keep hearing good things about Wonder. I really enjoyed Breadcrumbs, but I listened to it on audio. Anne Ursu is a favorite author of mine. Her Cronus Chronicles trilogy was great!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today - I LOVED your idea of reading a book set in your destination for a family vacation and then discussing it - I want to try that!!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't miss Wonder! I feel rather bad about not enjoying Breadcrumbs, but I won't hesitate to recommend it to students!

      Your blog was lovely. Always nice to have a family sharing book together. I enjoy sharing books between generations. I am often passing on books/suggestions to my grandmother. It's a nice way to bond, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Wonder has been my favorite read this year - what an incredible book! I'm saving it for your end of the year readaloud, and am as excited as th kids for this last, shared experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder would make a great read aloud, especially at the end of the school year. The conclusion of the book ... conclusion of the year ... timelines will coincide. Hope you students enjoy it.

      Delete
  8. Lots of great books! Before I forget - we love all the Knufflebunny books in our house! And Press Here is great! We have the book and the app and love them both.

    WONDER!!!! I'm glad you read it! I love that book. I've read it and listened to it and loved both. I agree completely about Penderwicks - loved it. Love those sisters. AND Breadcrumbs and Neversink were hard for me, too. I liked Breadcrumbs but I didn't really connect with the characters either and I didn't see all the Snow Queen connections or other connections - I guess I just wasn't in that frame of mind. ? I liked Neversink after I got into it but it took me a really long time to get into it! It was hard for me to read about animals living like humans - personified like Ivan, I can do, but Neversink was a different kind of fantasy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, Thanks again for hosting the meme. It really helps me organize my reading. : )

      Wonder! It was really your post, talking about your student Michelle that had me pick this up as my very next read. When you talk about how a book pushes you to add kindness to your everyday life, you are so right. The book is an inspiration, as is your students and the story that you shared. Jen, Don't stop telling the story and recommending Wonder. It's so important.

      If I didn't say it before, Thank You. : )

      Delete
  9. So many good titles here! I loved WONDER so much! That book is a treasure! I enjoyed Breadcrumbs and I remember reading it at the holidays. Press Here was a favorite of my students! They read it again and again.
    I need to remember to get the latest Penderwicks. I loved this family.
    Thank you so much for stopping by my little blog today. It was very kind of you. I will visit your blog regularly. It's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't nice to remember the season or holiday in which you read a book? While Breadcrumbs didn't connect with me, I can imagine reading about the cold snow, the festive village, and fantastical characters during the holidays might enhance the experience. I was happy to visit your blog. Love your blog's name. It's seriously cute!

      Delete
  10. I think one reason I really "got" Breadcrumbs was that one of my kids was struggling in school at the time, and I could see the same disconnect between well-meaning teachers but a child's abject misery. I was even the worried mom who couldn't find a way to help!

    I love the Penderwicks; I couldn't get the kids to read them but then I find the audios and now we are all fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that Breadcrumbs found a audience with fantasy lovers and the like. It sounds to me like it was a rather hit or miss type book. It's gotten so much praise, I was rather disappointed.

      Penderwicks won me over, big time! I will be reading their other books in the very near future. : )

      Delete