Monday, April 30, 2012

It's Monday: What Are You Reading (3)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!  is a meme hosted by Jen and Kellee at Teach.Mentor.Texts. 

I hope all of you enjoyed your week of reading, I know I did.  First I read Sean Griswold’s Head.  I thought this book was very sweet, but dealt with a serious subject of parental health issues.  It’s not something often covered in YA books, since YA sometimes are a bit on the self centered side.  This book offered a variety of perspectives on health, fitness, education, friendship, and the vulnerability of teen romance.  I quite enjoyed reading it.  I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to YA readers.  I also read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.  It was a very powerful book, about teen suicide.  I strongly think this book could be used as a tool with teens.  I finally read and enjoyed Absolutely True Story of a Part Time Indian. I heard so much about this book but it didn’t cross my path until this week.  I couldn’t put it down; it was a quick read, not to say it wasn’t mature and full of emotion!  I read it before dinner, handed it to my husband who read it in one sitting after dinner.   If you haven’t picked up this book, I strongly strongly recommend it.  Finally I read Super Slugger: Wall Ball. Set in a snowy April, this tell the story of classmates and baseball teammates.  The story was rather mediocre, but I did enjoy the book’s inclusion of Poetry Month in the classroom, and a teacher who was passionate about sharing poems.  I think this series could be popular with 3rd - 5th graders.

YA/MG Reads:

 

Thirteen Reasons Why
by Jay Asher
- 4 stars on goodreads

The Absolutely True Diary 
of a Part-Time Indian
by Sherman Alexie
- 5 stars on goodreads



Super Sluggers: Wall Ball
by Kevin Markey
- 3 stars on goodreads


Sean Griswold's Head
by Lindsey Leavitt
- 4 stars on goodreads




And a Few Picture Books:

 


Fairly Fairy Tales
by Esmé Raji Codell
- 5 stars on goodreads!

Dog Loves Books
by Louise Yates
- 4 stars on goodreads


How Do I Love You?
by Leslie Kimmelman
& Lisa McCue (Illustrations)
- 4 stars on goodreads
 

Dinosaur Dig!
by Penny Dale
- 3 stars on goodreads

 
2 more Fly Guy Books
by Tedd Arnold
- 3 stars each on goodreads


2 more books about Bears
- 3 stars each on goodreads

1 more book about Tigers
-3 stars on goodreads

and several rather dull books 
about Numbers, Dogs, and Trains 
- 2 stars each on goodreads







This Week I Will Read:



Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
(Carried over from last week.  I still love Elizabeth Eulberg.  
To be honest, I bought this book and I can't find it!  
I am sure it's at the bottom of a bag somewhere!)

The Penderwicks #2 and #3 by Jeanne Birdsall
(I so enjoyed the first of the Penderwick books.  
I am hoping these are just as delightful!)

Curveball: The Year I Lost my Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick



I am sure I will also read anything else that catches the eye of my 3 year old in our book piles, from the library, and many, many, many rereads of our favorites.  Make sure you leave me a message in the comments and share what you are reading too.  I always love suggestions!  And, If you have a list, I will be sure to visit to see what you've included. 
 


17 comments:

  1. "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" is an amazing book - in the right hands. I find that my mature sixth graders can handle this very well, and really come away with great discussion ideas. Sonnenblick is such an awesome writer - can't wait to read what you have to say about "Curveball".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Tara. I enjoyed "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" very much! I know that students, if they can give the book an honest try will really enjoy and learn from the book. I think the writing is exceptional and the inclusion of illustrations adds to the student appeal as well as the students narrated feel of the book.

      Delete
  2. I'm adding Fairly Fairy Tales to my TBR. Preschooler and I both enjoy twists to the traditional, this looks right up our alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairly Fairy Tales is such a great book. My preschooler LOVED it the first time we read it. After one read he was retelling using the easy pattern in the books. The illustrations are just perfect for lovers of fairy tales, you can spot different characters in each of the scenes. I do highly recommend. I am stingy with those 5 star ratings but this one was perfect in my book!

      Delete
  3. Sherman Alexie's book has been on my TBR for some time, and I really should bump it up closer to the top, since it takes place not far from were I grew up in Northern Idaho, not to mention it is so love by many. Fairy Fairy Tales looks great too and I just added it to Goodreads!

    Lorna @notforlunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! My 2 favorite reads this week! You will enjoy "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian", I hope. Alexie's storytelling is outstanding!

      Delete
  4. I love your list. These all look and sound really good. I hope to do more YA reading this summer, some of these will be added to my list for sure! Geat suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of these books were read in one sitting! That's one thing I love about YA books. : )

      Delete
  5. Amazing! I haven't heard of any of these but the Penderwicks! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I loved 13 Reasons Why and I've had a couple of students read Sean Griswold and I didn't realize it was about parental health issues too- that is good to know.

    Happy reading this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in Sean Griswold's Head, the protagonist learns that her father has MS. The disease is given a good explanation in the book including symptoms, triggers, and treatment. In addition (not to give away too much) some of the characters in the book take part in a charity bike race to support MS research. I loved the inclusion of that!

      Delete
  7. We're about to finish the audio of the second Penderwick books; I loved reading them and I'm loving sharing them with my family a second time. I liked the sequels almost as much as the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on the sequels right now. I bet they would be excellent audio books with the familiar characters and exciting (but simple) plot.

      Delete
  8. i really didn't like 13 reasons why. i just didn't feel like hannah had any good reasons for killing herself. maybe some teens would be able to identify with it though. i LOVED absolutely true diary of a part-time indian!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it was very difficult to see why Hannah would kill herself. For me though, that was part of the point. I can't see any reason for a teen to kill themselves. Furthermore, as teachers or parents or friends or family it's important to realize that teenagers don't always have the perspective or maturity to know that things can get better, things can get worse, there are people who can help, and no one should be allowed to have such a negative impact on your life, ever. AS this being said, I can see that the book wouldn't be for everyone. It was dark and painful to read at times.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for stopping by.
    Looks you've read some great books this past week. I'll be adding some to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I have. I consider myself a very lucky woman to have a life filled with great books.

      Delete