Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

I decided to try a meme this week.  How exciting, right?  It’s a chance to share a post with others posting on the same topic.  This week I am trying: Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving (those covers or titles that don't fit the books, a book that was totally different than its summary, or those books you thought were going to be fluff that turned out to be more serious etc etc.)  This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Be sure to check out the other great Top Ten Tuesday Lists like mine.

I should begin by saying, this list is full of book that I really liked.  These are book that were surprisingly good, surprisingly funny, or surprisingly new and fresh.  In these cases being deceived wasn't negative. The list is almost like a list of books you might have missed because they weren't what you expected!  Anyway, here is my list:

1. 2. and 3. The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, The Penderwicks at Point Mouette, and  The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall I’ve added the Penderwicks because I totally thought the book was written in the 1950’s.  I have read and enjoyed some old fashioned books like Ballet Shoes and The Family Under the Bridge, so I thought this one was so well loved by teacher, librarians, and Children’s Literature fans I thought I woud give it a try.  Only after picking up the book did I realize it’s a modern book!

4. It’s a Book by Lane Smith  I love sweet innocent picture books.  Don’t you? I love sharing picture books with children.  I even love sharing certain picture books with snarky teenage readers.  I laughed and laughed and laughed and was deceived by the adorable It’s a Book by Lane Smith.  If you read the book, you know why I was deceived.  Maybe it was the sweet pictures or the simple conversation between the cute monkey and his donkey friend.  Whatever made me think this book would have a sweet ending with an amusing lesson, I was wrong.  The book has a very amusing surprise ending for readers.  I laughed, I maybe even snorted.  I might have shared it with all of my eighth graders.  Ha.

5. and 6. Love That Dog/Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech These books deceive because, let’s face it:  They look and act like novels. They sit on the shelf in your 6th , 7th, ort 8th grade classroom next to copies of Hunger Games, Bud Not Buddy, and The Giver.  Students see each other reading the book, maybe laughing or looking interesting, but it’s not until you pick up the book that you realize it’s a book set in free verse.  The book offers first person written poems from an adolescent perspective.  Whoa.  That’s unexpected, right?  What’s even cooler, the poems are good.  The books are written by Sharon Creech!  Watch kids grab these books and enjoy the simple and poignant poems written just for this age group, secretly hidden in a book that looks like an adolescent novel.

7. Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman This book looks like a serious book about a serious girl, right?  Maybe you would expect to hear about troubled times, hard work, and boring habits of ancient adolescents, right?  Instead readers are treated to a laugh out loud, hilarious tale about a stubborn girl with a mind of her own.  She has an amazing courage and a spirit of adventure that is all set in 13th century England.  The book does offer several other covers, but this one in particular really deceives readers.

8. Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal   I thought it was a rabbit.  I really, really thought it was a rabbit.  Now after reading the book, I see:  It’s a Duck! You fooled me you sneaky rabbit.  I mean duck.  Rabbit? urg.  Duck?  Let this book trick you into seeing things differently. :)






9. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews I absolutely loved this cover.  My thoughts were that it would be maybe silly, funny, or romantic.  I thought maybe it would be a friendship or love triangle.  I wasn’t sure about the title, but I had to go for it.  I was surprised by the ballsy attitude, language, and humor, but I went with it.  I didn’t think I would really come to like the characters, not protagonist Greg, definitely not Earl, and not even ailing Rachel. Then came the end of the book which was sweet touching and very appropriate.  I laughed and cried my way through this book.  It wasn’t what I was expecting at all.  But, I sure did like it.

10. I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen  Ha. Ha ha ha. Some books surprise you.  Some books shock you.  Some books look sweet and innocent.  I want my hat back was just, shocking.  I have to say I am 100% team rabbit.  I also have to say, this is the kind of book that you have to read 3 or 4 times to find the curious looks, the subtle phrasing, and the shocking ending!!! 





That's my list and my first participation in Top Ten Tuesday.  Do you have books that deceived you?  Leave me a comment, I will be sure to check your list.  Thanks.

16 comments:

  1. I picked children's books, too! You made great choices. (And...how can it be...I've never known about Hate That Cat!...must seek it out!)

    Here's my
    Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Deceiving.
    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate That Cat shouldn't be missed. I took a visit, and Loved your list. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  2. I'm scared of the cover for Catherine, Called Birdy. Looks a little bit weird. Ha!

    I've not read any of the books on your list, and I love that. I'll be checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame about Catherine, Called Birdy. All of Cushman's books are similarly adorned an the covers and the books are so well done. Catherine is so laugh our loud funny, but its such a hard sell to get students to look at this!

      Delete
  3. Great list! I'm going to have to look into It's a Book, it sounds fantastic. New follower via GFC :)

    http://ajarndtbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that book is sure to make you laugh or smile. Really cute. And plus there is the surprising ending!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree with you about the Penderwicks! I was literally shocked that it was a modern book, even partway into it. The title and cover both scream that it's an older book. In my mind, I combined it with the Moffats I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have it on my To Be Read pile. I just picked up the book and was looking at it today, maybe this week Penderwicks, maybe this week. : )

      Delete
  5. I LOVED I Want My Hat Back! Picked it up at the library for my 4 year old, but I ended up loving it way more! I had to show it to my 9 year old and my husband. Such a simple book,but so clever and SO funny! Great picks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should read I Want My Hat Back! So, are you Team Rabbit? or Team Bear? : )

      Delete
  6. Ok, you've totally made me super intrigued about what the ending to It's A Book could possibly be. :)
    i don't have kids so i don't usually gravitate towards the childrens section in bookstores but i might need to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Author Lane Smith who wrote It's a Book is known for his wicked sense of humor. Make sure you find It's a book. It's a Little Book is cute too, but more for the kiddos than it's partner book. It's a must for book lovers. I thought it was hilariously cute. Definitely look for it at your local bookstore. : )

      Delete
  7. I loved Catherine Called Birdy! It was completely the opposite of what I was expecting, in the best sense!

    Thanks for visiting! New follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer - Cushman's other books are just as good. I just wish the covers were a little bit more appealing to middle grade students. It's a tough sell to get kids to read, but once they begin the book, its usually a winner. : )

      Delete
  8. PENDERWICKS!! AHHH!! I talk about my LOVE for the Penderwicks all the time because you're totally right: their story feels classic and timeless. They are some of the most lovable characters, and I adore them. I can't wait for the next one--there's going to be a TIME JUMP!
    And Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl was very surprising. I thought it was going to be hilarious, and it was, but it was also more emotional. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me & Earl & the Dying Girl - I really hope to see more from author Jesse Andrews. I thought the book was really well written and emotionally charged.

      Delete